ECVC Press Release: March 8th – International Women’s Day
Women Peasants fight for food sovereignty, against violence and agribusiness
This 8th of March, International Women’s Day, we, the women of the European Coordination Via Campesina, the historical creators of life, guardians of traditional seeds, caretakers of food and landscape diversity, vessels for passing on knowledge, raise our voices to say:
- NO to patriarchy.
- NO to neoliberal policies.
- NO to agribusiness, responsible for exiling thousands of male and female peasants from our lands, to the industrialization of agriculture and climate change.
- NO to the so-called free trade agreements such as CETA or TTIP, with completely obscure and antidemocratic procedures, whose only goal is to obtain the maximum amount of profits for multinational corporations at the expense of citizens’ rights (right to food, health, social equity, labor rights, public policies, a natural environment…).
- NO to land-grabbing and taking over natural resources, no in Europe or anywhere else in the world.
- NO to working condition precariousness.
- NO to violence and oppression.
We, the women peasants, declare:
- YES to guaranteeing our sexual and reproductive rights, and respect for all gender identities.
- YES to the visibility of the role of female peasants.
- YES to our necessary legal recognition in the political, social and professional spheres (social security contributions, access to land and ownership of our farmlands, migrant workers and workers without land rights, the necessary social protection…).
- YES to societies joint responsibility in the ensemble of care and duties within the reproductive sphere.
- YES to all the women who struggle every day for a more sustainable and fair rural world.
- YES to Food Sovereignty and Popular Peasant Feminism.
LET ALL DAYS BE THE 8TH OF MARCH! LONG LIVE THE FIGHT FOR PEASANTS, LONG LIVE THE FIGHT FOR WOMEN LET US GLOBALIZE THE STRUGGLE! LET’S GLOBALIZE HOPE!
Spokesperson: Inmaculada Idanez Vargas: ES tel: 0034646444091