The annual conference of Bhartiya Kisan Union was held on 16-18 June 2008 at Haridwar district of Uttarakhand. During the meetings of National Working committee and state committee’s participants discussed on Farmers problems and other related issues. After the discussion, a unanimous resolution was come out, which is as follows;
On June 18th 2008, on the bank of Holy Ganga the Bhartiya Kisan union is demanding following to our government:
- The May draft of the WTO is not in favor of Indian farmers and the farmers of third world. Indian farmers condemns it and we demand Govt. Of India to bring out Agriculture form the WTO.
- We demand to stop GM seeds in India and also demand to the govt. for providing good seeds to the farmers.
- The new proposed agriculture policy is not favorable to the farmers; we demand for a review of this policy and also a representation to BKU in drafting committee.
- Our country needs a seed policy but we feel that the seed bill 2004 was built in the pressure on Multi National seed companies. So the BKU condemn this bill.
- New private mandi act is not necessary for India, It is not suitable for our farmers, So we demand for the straightening of Govt. Mandies and we also demand not to cut mandi tax from the farmers product.
- There is a need to insure Minimum support price to the farmers and a strong action against companies, individuals and traders who are not following the norms.
- To mitigate farmers suicide all over India all type of debt till 31 dec 2007 should be wiped out and a fresh lone should be given on 4 % interest rate to farmers directly. It is also demanded that import of agro produces should be stopped and appropriate rate of produce should be given to the farmers
- We demand for an urgent review of land acquisitions act and no acquisition of agriculture land in the light of food crisis.
- Payment of sugar cane farmers must be insure immediately with their due interest.
- The increase power load capacity of the farmers should be withdraw along with insuring regular power supply in rural areas.
- Diesel should be made available to the farmers on subsidizes rate as it is made available to the industries.
- In drought prone areas like bundelkhand (U.P. & M.P.) and Vidarbha in Maharastra special package should be provided while insuring direct support to the farmers as well a central committee should be formed for its review
- We demand for the revoking all the cases against farmers related with the movement in all states along with release of farmers from jail without any condition.
Ch. Mahendra Singh Tikait Balram Lamberdar Rai Singh Pawar Jagadish Singh
National president BKU President U.P. President Uttarakhand President M.P.
Paras Nat Gupta Saranjeet Singh Mahalo Sewa Singh SS gill
President Bihar. Secetry Punjab Harayana. President Himachal Pardesh
BHARTIYA KISSAN UNION