- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2008 04:58
Japan Family Farmers Movement (NOUMINREN) statement on the collapse of WTO negotiation
July 30th, 2008
1. WTO's closed door negotiation, which had started from July 21st, collapsed on 29th of the same month. As a result, it is said that the negotiation will be in limbo for next several years and that the round itself will collapse. No deal is better than bad deal. We welcome this collapse.
2. In the past, WTO negotiation of Seattle in 1999, Cancun in 2003, and Hong-Kong in 2005 have all failed, and the informal ministerial meeting in 2006 has also failed. Since the start of WTO in 1995, it has repeated the history of collapse and failure. This is a natural outcome as the world food supply foundation has destroyed and hunger and poverty are wide-spread under WTO which played a role as neoliberal globalization organization for the interest of TNCs.
- Published on Tuesday, 26 August 2008 21:58
European Coordination Via Campesina
The colapse of the negotiations of the WTO Doha round Doha constitutes a victory for the organizations which struggled in Seattle, Cancún, Hongkong, Geneva and at many other places against the WTO. The break down of this week of negotiations is a victory for the farmers, men and women, everywhere in the world who struggle against the liberalisation of the markets and the commodification of essential products such as food, water and seeds.
The structural crisis in the fields of food, climate, finances and energy are a direct consequence of these policies of liberalization, pushed by the WTO and the free trade agreements, which make of the free market a solution for everything without any result evaluation.
- Published on Tuesday, 29 July 2008 00:25
Since April 2008, the Korean people have continuously protested against the US beef imports which are a precondition for the US ratification of the controversial US-Korea FTA. This relates to serious concerns about the safety of US beef. The Korean government has changed its regulations to allow 30 month old beef with bones to enter the Korean market and the people have clearly shown their disapproval of this. Many Korean activists have been arrested, put into prison and searched by the police because of their protests.
- Published on Friday, 25 July 2008 22:33