- Published on Monday, 26 January 2009 21:18
Civil society statement for the High Level Meeting on Food crisis - Madrid
Against the dramatic background of a profound global food and general economic crisis the Spanish government organizes the “High Level Ministerial Meeting on Food Security for All” on the 26-27th of January 2009 in Madrid.
The emergency of today is rooted in decades of neo-liberal policies that dismantled the international institutional architecture for food and agriculture and undermined the capacity of national governments to protect their food producers and consumers. The central cause of the current food crisis is the relentless promotion of the interests of large industrial corporations and the international trade that they control, to the detriment of food production at the local and national levels and the needs and interests of local food producers and communities. At the World Food Summit in 1996, when there were an estimated 830 million hungry people, governments pledged to halve the number by 2015. Today, in the midst of a terrible food crisis, the figure of hungry people has risen to well beyond 1 billion.
- Published on Saturday, 24 January 2009 01:39
26th January, Palacio de Congresos, Madrid
- This conference has been organised almost exclusively by International institutions such as the World Bank and WTO, as well as members of the G8. Small farmers and food producers from around the world as well as the countries most affected by the food crisis are marginalised from the process.
- Representatives of small and medium producers will be present from the beginning of the Conference promoting their alternative: Food Sovereignty
- La Via Campesina is an international movement of peasants, small and medium size producers, landless, rural women and youth and agricultural workers active in about 70 countries around the world. COAG (Coordinadora de Organizaciones de Agricultores y Ganaderos), member of La Via Campesina, will participate in and support the farmers delegation in Madrid.
- Published on Thursday, 18 December 2008 12:58
A dozen of farmers organisations en Haiti gathered on December 12, 2008 for a mass protest in the capital city Puerto Principe as part of a national campaign for Food Sovereignty. More on the Via Campesina Spanish and French Pages.
- Published on Thursday, 13 November 2008 20:53
Workshop on Food Sovereignty during the AEPF 7
A tough debate happens during the food sovereignty workshop in Asian – European People forum (AEPF7) in Beijing, China, October 15, 2008. The debate between the speaker from the China association of agricultural sciences (CAAS) with speakers from La via Campesina and FIAN International persevere about civil society position towards the UN comprehensive framework of action (CFA) on food crisis.