- Published on Tuesday, 18 April 2006 07:00
During the last few weeks, thousands of migrants, mostly agricultural workers and day laborers, have mobilized to protest against the proposed anti-immigrant legislation that is being debated in the U.S. Congress. High school and university students, labor unions, community organizations and religious groups have spontaneously joined these migrants in protests throughout the country.
- Published on Monday, 17 April 2006 07:00
DeclarationWe, the farmers of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Chattisgarh and Uttaranchal, along with farmers’ groups from Italy, Spain, South Africa, Canada and France have gathered in Amritha Bhoomi in Chamarajanagar and for the international symposium on “Seeds and Genetic Engineering in Agriculture”. We have collectively acknowledged that:
- GM technology poses a serious and immediate threat to our life security and livelihoods, our food security, health of the environment and the people. We recognize that this is being thrust on us solely to promote the interests of agri-business corporations
- Chemical farming, thrust on us in the past fifty years has inflicted tremendous damage to our environment and health and that no lessons have been learnt by the government on such aggressive agricultural technologies and approaches. Worse, no accountability has been fixed so far for the massive damage and disaster that the first Green Revolution had brought about.
- Published on Wednesday, 05 April 2006 07:00
International day of peasants’ struggle
In 1996 La Via Campesina April 17th the International Day of Peasant Struggle)* because of the Massacre in Carajas-Brazil. Since then La Via Campesina and its member organisations have worked together with other movements to organize strong mobilisations and actions against neo-liberal policies.
Last year in December, 2005, in Hong Kong we succeeded in applying much pressure on the WTO Ministerial through actions in Hong Kong and back home in our countries. The WTO achieved a minimal deal that represented much less than original expectations. Many organisations mobilised against Free Trade Agreements and in Latin America peoples’ protests successfully led to a stop of the Free Trade Agreement of the Americas (FTAA).
- Published on Saturday, 01 April 2006 07:00
Download our presentation leaflet here : The International Peasant's Voice
Title: The voice of the peasants of the world
Abstract: This publication is a brochure introducing the organization La Vía Campesina: What is La Via Campesina, how it was created, what are your goals, what he stands for, who are its members.
Language: English (Available in French and Spanish)