- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2008 20:51
on Sunday, August 3 of this year, in the community Silin, Trujillo, Colón, where 11 people died, and two were wounded.
As result of the the above, Mr. Henry Osorto, commissioner of the national police and directly involved in the agrarian conflict, has declared before various communication outlets that our compañero Rafael Alegría and other peasant leaders are those responsible for this tragedy, accusing them of promoting the actions carried out by the peasants to recover the land and in addition qualified them as terrorists, guerillas, exploiters of peasants, revolutionary agitators, and who live at the cost of the peasants.
- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2008 05:00
Washington D.C. (August 13, 2008) - The National Family Farm Coalition welcomed with elation the recent failure of the Doha Round negotiations at the World Trade Organization in Geneva. NFFC, an organization representing family farmers in the United States and a member of Via Campesina, an international coalition of family farmers, peasants, and farm workers, has been at the forefront since 1993 of protesting the disastrous inclusion of agriculture in the world trading system. "NFFC has warned for over a decade that the WTO's policies were impoverishing farmers both here and abroad and would lead to an inevitable food crisis. The time has come for us to make food sovereignty, not free trade, our model and get the WTO out of agriculture," said NFFC President Ben Burkett, a Mississippi farmer.
- Published on Wednesday, 27 August 2008 04:58
Japan Family Farmers Movement (NOUMINREN) statement on the collapse of WTO negotiation
July 30th, 2008
1. WTO's closed door negotiation, which had started from July 21st, collapsed on 29th of the same month. As a result, it is said that the negotiation will be in limbo for next several years and that the round itself will collapse. No deal is better than bad deal. We welcome this collapse.
2. In the past, WTO negotiation of Seattle in 1999, Cancun in 2003, and Hong-Kong in 2005 have all failed, and the informal ministerial meeting in 2006 has also failed. Since the start of WTO in 1995, it has repeated the history of collapse and failure. This is a natural outcome as the world food supply foundation has destroyed and hunger and poverty are wide-spread under WTO which played a role as neoliberal globalization organization for the interest of TNCs.
- Published on Tuesday, 26 August 2008 21:58
European Coordination Via Campesina
The colapse of the negotiations of the WTO Doha round Doha constitutes a victory for the organizations which struggled in Seattle, Cancún, Hongkong, Geneva and at many other places against the WTO. The break down of this week of negotiations is a victory for the farmers, men and women, everywhere in the world who struggle against the liberalisation of the markets and the commodification of essential products such as food, water and seeds.
The structural crisis in the fields of food, climate, finances and energy are a direct consequence of these policies of liberalization, pushed by the WTO and the free trade agreements, which make of the free market a solution for everything without any result evaluation.