- Published on Monday, 30 March 2015 14:52
Tunisia, Tunis, 27 March 2015
The people, united, will never be defeated!
The Social Movements Assembly of the WSF 2015, Tunisia is the place where we come together through all our diversity, in order to forge a collective agenda to fight against capitalism, imperialism, patriarchy, racism and all forms of discrimination and oppression.
We have forged a common history and a common stream of work which led to some progress, with the hope to garner some amount of victory against the ruling system and to create several alternatives for a socially just development that respects nature.
People all over the world are suffering the effects of the aggravation of a profound crisis of capitalism, in which private transnational corporations, banks, media conglomerates and international financial institutions are trying to increase their profits by applying interventionist and neocolonial policies with the complicity of neo-liberal governments.
In response to the criminalisation of the social struggle, La Via Campesina sends a message of solidarity
- Published on Saturday, 28 March 2015 03:01
(Harare, March 27, 2015) La Via Campesina International expresses its condemnation of the following acts of criminalisation and persecution of social protest that have taken place very recently:
- The attempted murder of Gene Santos, a communications advisor for the the Movement of Landless Rural Workers (MST) of Brazil. The incident took place in Tamboril, on the night of March 13th, when Mr. Santos was returning to his home in the settlement of “Monte Alegre”. He was shot at several times by a single person, but was able to escape unharmed.
- A death threat against João Pedro Stedile, who is also a member of the MST as well as a leader of La Via Campesina at the international level. A notice was sent via social media asking for “Stedile alive or dead” and describing him as a leader of the MST and an “enemy of the homeland”. The writer offered a reward of 10,000 reales to whoever responded to his request. In this way, the assassination of the campesino leader is being encouraged with the promise of payment for killing him.
- Published on Thursday, 26 March 2015 20:29
Harare, 15 March, 2015 - La Via Campesina, an International Peasant Movement, will be represented at the World Social Forum in Tunis as from March 24th up to 28th by a bunch of fifty delegates, made up of peasant (men and women), farming labors, from more than 20 countries of the global regions, with a particular focus of the Arabic world delegates.
La Via Campesina considers this as an important space for mobilization opportunity around alternatives and proposals in favor of Food sovereignty as well as strengthening the solidarity with the allies and other social movements, mainly the Maghreb and Mashreq ones.
In fact, the 2015 WSF will be held at a crucial moment at which the social movement are seeking for justice, freedom and solidarity. The set goals and orientations do take into consideration the political, social and economic changes in Maghreb-Mashreq, and as well in the African continent, with regard to the ecological and economical crisis around the entire globe. The identified objectives are indications of a better solution to all these crucial issues, and promote the convergences and alternative construction.
- Published on Thursday, 26 March 2015 14:51
La Via Campesina's electronic newsletter, the March 2015 edition, is now available. It highlights the International Women’s Day (8th March) and the various actions organised on that day. The newsletter also captures different issues from the regions. Download the newsletter, read and share it! Globalize the Struggle! Globalize Hope!